If you’d like to contact us directly, as opposed to just leaving a comment, then drop our Editor, Jock Serong, a line at: email@example.com
Are you a writer? Photographer? Artist, digital media guru, poet, journalist or an improbable combination of all these things? Does the sea run through your veins and sometimes corrode your nib?
If so, we’d love you to submit your work to Great Ocean Quarterly.
Our journal can only ever be as good as its words and images, and as a result, we’ll only accept the very best work in our pages. The good news is, you don’t have to be a Big Name. You don’t have to have an agent, a book deal or a PhD. You don’t need to have an exhibition, a retrospective or a celebrity scandal. You don’t have to watch Dynasty to have an attitude.
Here are our guidelines:
Please submit all written material to our Editor, Jock Serong via firstname.lastname@example.org
GOQ is constantly on the lookout for well-researched, well-written features journalism about the ocean: history, science, personal experience, adventure, profiles and more. So if you have a trip planned, or you’re engaged in fascinating work, let us know about it. BUT ‘ those words again ‘ fascinating and well-written. We make no apologies for running only the very best stories.
We also run fiction (generally up to 4,000 words) and poetry. It’s a tough market out there for creative writers, and we’d love to support you.
Please submit all images to our Creative Director Mick Sowry on email@example.com
Mick likes lo-res images on his email, or if you’re going hi-res in the first instance, use a drop-box service like WeTransfer. Obviously we need to know that you’ve got your images in a hi-res format in the event that we do publish.
We accept individual photographs for our My Ocean pages (just with a handful of words about the shot and about you). We also run extended photo-essays for rare and highly worthy shots, and we welcome archival and contemporary photography and illustration for our feature stories and fiction.
Here’s the administrative gumph we need to tell you up-front:
- We only publish material about the ocean and people’s relationships to it, although a great many things can be connected to the ocean in the most peripheral of ways. Having said that, you may write eloquently about your pet hamster, but unless it is a seafaring hamster, please look elsewhere.
- We’re very firm about our editorial independence. All of our stories must be authentic and unique. Sorry, but we won’t do branded content.
- We take an editorial board approach to all submitted material. That is, our publishing team looks at submitted work together and makes a consensus decision. So if we’ve said no, we apologise, but it’s never an individual decision.
- We promise we’ll open that email fast, respond quickly to your submission and even give you feedback. But because we’re a quarterly, the lead-time for accepted material to appear in print can be quite long. Please bear with us.
- We will negotiate payment individually for all contributions and will make payment 60 days after publication.
- You retain copyright in, and ownership of, your work. You grant us the right to re-publish in GOQ, online and for promotional purposes.